- Som många av er läst i nyhetsbrevet i oktober 2019 >> pågår samverkan med studenter från olika delar av världen, som just nu läser det nystartade mastersprogrammet Sustainable Communication. Läs mer här >>
- @Francesca Mariani gjorde sin praktik för Klimatrådet, fokus en studie som jämför tre Klimatråd runt om i Sverige, Jönköping, Västra Götaland och Jämtland.
- Sweden’s overarching climate target is to reach net-zero emissions of greenhouse gases by 2045, followed by negative emissions. To achieve this, the climate targets and the Climate Act, together with the Swedish Climate Policy Council, constitute Sweden’s climate policy framework, which entered into force on 1 January 2018.
- But these are not the only tools used in Sweden. Regions and counties decided to put up independently the institution of the Climate Councils, a new type of collaboration between the public and private sectors aiming to achieve the previously quoted goal.
- The Climate Councils analyzed in this paper have a different geographical, institutional and contextual background. Cases analyzed come from the Jönköping, Västra Götaland and Jämtland Region
Comparisons among the different forms of collaboration carried out by the three climate councils
The Climate Council institution arises as a collaborative institution where both the public and the private sector make their part to reach the sustainability goals. Collaboration can be seen as a joint effort towards a common, specific goal, where every part involved puts something valuable in order to achieve something even more valuable. Collaboration is the opposite of competition, because even competitors (here referring to actors in the same location or in the same sector) are called to work together by helping each other.
- The strategy of collaboration behind the institution of the Jönköping Climate Council has its roots in the joint effort from different sectors in order to achieve the plus efficiency in the energy sector in the whole County. The institution works on a collaborative basis whereas actors from the different sectors participate in the meetings, decide upon the next steps and give out advice about the Climate strategy. In
- Västra Götaland, a tight collaboration is carried out between the Region and the County: these two institutions work hand in hand to ensure the achievement of the “Klimat 2030” strategy. The two institutions hold jointly the Council meetings and decide together the next steps to follow in the strategy. All the activities put in place from the two institutions are decided, designed and implemented by representatives of the two institutions. As a joint institution, they collaborate with all the companies and other institutions that decided to join the Climate Council: an inter-sectoral collaboration is carried out effectively.
- Jämtland Climate Council arises intending to become a platform for collaboration between parties from trade and industry, public administration, and interest organizations. The overall purpose of the Climate Council is to contribute to the implementation of the county’s energy and climate strategy, and the regional action plan for climate adaption, with the associated measure plans for energy efficiency, renewable energy and climate adaption. That’s why Jämtland County’s Climate Council is run jointly by Region Jämtland Härjedalen and the Jämtland County Administrative Board. Tight collaboration is carried out by the two institutions also in this case.